Antiek Theater Herman Altena (Ancient Theatre Herman Altena) was founded in 2005. The company is specialized in Ancient Greek and Roman Theatre.
Herman Altena works for (music) theatre companies, musea, and other institutions for art and education, both in The Netherlands and abroad.
- Herman Altena is active in the field of ancient Greek and Roman theatre since 1989. His specialism is ancient Greek tragedy. He wrote several translations of ancient Greek tragedies for professional theatre companies in The Netherlands and Belgium, notably for Theatergroep Hollandia, Het Zuidelijk Toneel, ZT Hollandia, Het Paleis, De VeenFabriek, NTGent – Toneelgroep Amsterdam (now ITA) and Toneelschuur Producties Haarlem. He works on a regular basis with the directors Paul Koek, Johan Simons, Piet Arfeuille and Olivier Diepenhorst.
- Herman Altena translated several libretti for the Greek-Dutch composer Calliope Tsoupaki.
- Performances of his translations were shown in several countries outside The Netherlands and Belgium: Austria (Bakchai in Vienna), Germany (Euripides’ Phoenician Women in Dresden, Bakchai in Duisburg and Köln, and Aischylos’ Oresteia in München), Greece (Euripides’ Bakchai in Athens and Thessaloniki, and Euripides’ Suppliants – in a co-production with Theseum Ensemble, co-director Michael Marmarinos – in Epidauros).
- Since 2011 Herman Altena also works as a writer. His first play, »Hyllos, was performed in November and December 2013 by the music theatre company De Veenfabriek (Leiden) and Asko|Schönberg ensemble for contemporary music. The American composer Derek Bermel wrote the music. The director was Paul Koek.
- As a visiting teacher Herman Altena lectured at the Free University Amsterdam, Utrecht University, Leiden University, and the University of Athens.
- He also gives lectures and workshops for high school students on a regular basis.
- In 2010 Herman Altena taught a module ‘Ancient Greek Music Theatre’ at the new Master Music Theatre T.I.M.E. at The Royal Conservatoire in The Hague.
- Herman Altena wrote several »publications.